[lug] NIC Speed

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed May 1 19:07:20 MDT 2002

* D. Stimits (stimits at idcomm.com) wrote:
> I did this just for fun, my 100 Mbit/sec switch LED's indicate full
> duplex and 100 Mbit/sec. The machine with RH 7.1 beta and separate
> Etherexpress Pro 100 indicates correctly negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link
> ok. However, the RH 7.1 machine with integraged version of the same NIC
> says 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link. I can talk back and forth between
> the two machines just fine, so I don't know what the "no link" is about.
> I'm wondering if maybe the integrated version of this card does not use
> the MII interface? I noticed the -F force option has no effect as well
> from the one end, and the switch definitely says it is full duplex and
> 100 Mbit/sec. Even so, there are times when I've wondered about the
> speed, this makes me more curious. I also begin to wonder if there is
> another way to actually benchmark or test NIC speed.

Ha!  I just posted a message about NIC speeds to the CLUE-TECH list.  Go
figure.  Netcat seems to be usefull, as well as using the Tx an Rx bytes
numbers from ifconfig.  There is also a program called NetPerf, which I
have installed, but haven't ran yet.  So far, it seems that I am getting
only about 30% of the advertised 100 Mb/s between my machines and my
wife.  I have long suspeced that it was slower than it should be.  I am
investigating solutions.

Tim