[lug] NIC Speed

Dhruva B. Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 08:32:09 MDT 2002

Haven't tried bing, but I have two boxen running the
2.4 kernel and D-Link 530TX NICs, as well as a laptop
running 2.4 and a Linksys PCMPC200 NIC.  They are all
connected by my Linksys BEFS41 firewall/switch.  Now,
all of these components are supposedly 10/100, but I
have never seen more than 15Mb/s between any two
machines.  Actually, I don't see more than 10Mb/s
between the two D-Link NICs.

I know better than to expect more than I paid for, but
I would be interested to know what the bottleneck is.
Is there an easier way to do this than connecting
machines directly together (circumventing the switch)?

Also, is there any tuning that can be done with, say,
the network card drivers?

Thanks,
Dhruva

--- Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:
> If you want to know what your performance is, not
> what mode your NIC
> is in, a lot of people recommend "bing".  It will
> collect statistics
> over a period of time and give you both average and
> extreme cases.
>
> On my system, I'm seeing around 35 Mbps on the LAN
> (which isn't
> surprising since I've since learned that many
> networking gods think
> that 3Com cards are junk despite their reputation),
> and probably
> something around 800kbps to some well-connected
> sites via the cable
> modem.
>
> Bear
> Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667
channel=#colug