[lug] NIC Speed

Dhruva B. Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 09:24:58 MDT 2002

--- "J. Wayde Allen" <wallen at lug.boulder.co.us> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2002, Timothy C. Klein wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I will have to test this.  I have 3 3Com
> cards (got two free from
> > Qwerst with my DSL routers, I bought one).  I also
> have two cards that I
> > think were branded Sohoware, but are based on the
> Dec tulip chips.  I
> > also have something based on the Via-Rhine
> chipset.  I will have to
> > benchmark them all.  It'll be interesting if the
> 3Com's are slower --
> > not only did the cost 5x as much (~ $20 vs ~ $100
> ), the 3Com also has a
> > PCB about twice as big, and has conisiderably more
> silicon on it.
>
> Please keep us posted.
>
> A few days ago I stopped by CompUSA to see what they
> had for network
> cards.  If I remember correctly they were selling
> Linksys, Compaq,
> Siemens, and 3com NIC's.  I hadn't looked into this
> lately and was a bit
> surprised at the price range from $15 to $100.  It
> wasn't at all clear to
> me what the advantages or disadvantages were between
> the ends of this
> scale either.  Anyone know for sure?
>
> I was intrigued by the clearance sale on the Siemens
> cards since the box
> said it supported Linux, unlike all of the other
> products.  Anyone have
> experience with these?

This is news to me.  All of the D-Link and Linksys
NICs that I have bought claim to support Linux.  The
530TX's came with the source code to the rtl8139
module.  This driver supports this card only under the
2.2 kernel (this is not in the card's
documentation--IIRC I learned this from a friend).
Under the 2.4 kernel, this card uses the 8139too
module.

I don't remember how I got the Linksys card working.

At one point I was looking at the 3com 3CXFE575CT PC
card NIC, and they claim that it does *not* work on
anything but Windoze (they don't say why), although a
quick search has revealed some evidence to the
contrary.

-d