[lug] Hardware repairs

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu May 2 17:30:17 MDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:15:19PM -0700, Jack Swope wrote:
>I am looking for a reliable hardware service company.
>I have several monitors and motherboards that I need
>to have checked out.  Does anybody have any
>recommendations for companies in the Boulder area.

I checked into getting some NEC XP17s repaired several years ago by a local
Fort Collins place that has a really good reputation...  They told me that
unless it was a really special monitor, that it probably wasn't worth
repairing.  While I really liked the NECs, and they were over a grand when
we bought them, the price he was quoting for repair was around $350 -- we
got a 19" display that works great for less than the cost of the repair...

The biggest problem is that monitors are, effectively toxic waste if there
are enough of them...  So, it'd be nice not to throw them away after 5
years...  We've moved ours off to doing lighter work where the squeal or
funkiness isn't a problem...

Sean
--
 You must align your chakra to resist The Man.