[lug] May 9th talk topics

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu May 2 21:56:48 MDT 2002

Chris Riddoch wrote:

> Hi, everyone.
>
> I just had a phone call with one of our speakers for next week's talk,
> to figure out what, exactly, the topic will be. The speaker may be
> either Kris Miller, Matt Abel, or both, from the Boulder office of the
> Holland & Hart law firm.  Kris said they specialize in copyright,
> trademark, and licensing.
>
> We talked a little about DMCA issues - mostly safe harbor, and
> the possibility of an open-topic Q&A session.
>
> I'm going to send them a URL to this thread on the archives, so let's
> get some wider brainstorming going on here!
>
> Since we have an opportunity to speak with people who won't prefix
> everything with "I Am Not A Lawyer" (but rather "This Won't Mean Much
> Until It Pays My Retainer" or something similar... ;)
>
> What would *you* like to hear about?

I would like an opinion of what will happen when gpl is actually
challenged...what the possibilities are and why. I'd like to hear about
issues of lgpl and dynamic linking. I'd like to know just how much of
gpl and lgpl a business can use internally, not as a product, but just
getting the daily job done, without fear. I'd like to know what
interesting ways there are to protect some products while mixing it with
lgpl or gpl products. I'd like to know about the interesting things that
can be done by the author of software such that it is licensed using
multiple licenses.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com