[lug] May 9th talk topics

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Fri May 3 08:20:53 MDT 2002

Tkil wrote:

<snip>

> important things that certain people like to confuse:
>
>  - only the bits of software that use GPL source must be GPLed, not
>    everything the company produces.
>
>  - GPL doesn't contaminate in the "needs a clean room reimplement-
>    ation" sense.

I think that there are some questions about what "linking" means in the
GPL.  For example, the MySQL licensing policy is that connecting to the
server is linking.

http://www.mysql.org/support/arrangements.html

Another question of linking is how aftermarket, 3rd-party plugins should
be considered.  If I write an xscreensaver plugin and GPL it, does that
mean xscreensaver and all other plugins must then be GPL'ed if I ship
them with my plugin?

<snip>

> finally, i think that anyone (person or company) is far more at risk
> of being attacked on DMCA or software patent grounds than they are of
> running afoul of the GPL.  most GPL violations i've seen seem to be
> someone releasing a bundle before the source code is quite cleaned up
> and ready to go.  maybe i'm being too nice about it, dunno...

Add to that the SBA ( software business alliance ).  Just how much right
does a copyright holder have to search for violations?

Scott