[lug] NIC Speed

Stephen Queen svq at peakpeak.com
Fri May 3 09:59:18 MDT 2002

> =
>
> i regularly saw 11MB/s transfers when i was working at the hp plant in
> fort collins.  this was with pretty good 3com (905?) adapters,
> connected through at least three switching boxes (pc - switch - router
> - switch - host).  very nice.

I really don't know what to say here except that if you were transfering
100MB files in 9.09 sec over a network you were doing very good. I took a
quick look at the netperf and really didn't understand exactly what it is
measuring. Is it measuring a sustained bit rate by simply transferring a
bit pattern such as 0x55 or 0xaa, or is it measuring the transfer of real
data from a persisitant device? So I really can't comment. Iwould find it
very acceptable to transfer a 100 MB file in around 26.6 sec.  It has
been my experience that this is the kind of performance you can expect
from a network.