[lug] May 9th talk topics

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri May 3 15:00:37 MDT 2002

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Tkil wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > important things that certain people like to confuse:
> >
> >  - only the bits of software that use GPL source must be GPLed, not
> >    everything the company produces.
> >
> >  - GPL doesn't contaminate in the "needs a clean room reimplement-
> >    ation" sense.
>
> I think that there are some questions about what "linking" means in the
> GPL.  For example, the MySQL licensing policy is that connecting to the
> server is linking.
>
> http://www.mysql.org/support/arrangements.html
>
> Another question of linking is how aftermarket, 3rd-party plugins should
> be considered.  If I write an xscreensaver plugin and GPL it, does that
> mean xscreensaver and all other plugins must then be GPL'ed if I ship
> them with my plugin?
>
> <snip>
>
> > finally, i think that anyone (person or company) is far more at risk
> > of being attacked on DMCA or software patent grounds than they are of
> > running afoul of the GPL.  most GPL violations i've seen seem to be
> > someone releasing a bundle before the source code is quite cleaned up
> > and ready to go.  maybe i'm being too nice about it, dunno...
>
> Add to that the SBA ( software business alliance ).  Just how much right
> does a copyright holder have to search for violations?
>
> Scott

There is a general category of what looks right when reading the
license. There is also the "I am a lawyer, and this is what I see
mistakes in by people making assumptions" category of statements or
questions. I know what the GPL and LGPL look like to me, the questions
above I am interested in hearing about from the point of view of someone
who does law for a living, someone who can tell me what assumptions and
interpretations might come as a surprise. Surprises are unpleasant.
Perhaps I should change my own question to "what raises the eyebrow of
the attorney in a Spock-like Vulcan way" when hearing about the average
developer interpreting various licenses? I don't need someone to read
the GPL to me, unless there is an interpretation attached to the
reading. Interpretation is everything. Scott brings this point up here:
"linking" can mean a number of things.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com