[lug] NIC Speed

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri May 3 21:14:38 MDT 2002

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> On Friday 03 May 2002 03:03 pm, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > I have to wonder why though mii-tool is reporting on the integrated
> > version of the Intel EE Pro 100 10 MBit/sec and half duplex at one end,
> > but correctly reporting 100 Mbit/sec and full duplex on the other
> > machine, when the LED's on the switch show *both* at 100 Mbit/sec and
> > full duplex. They are the same card, running on very very similar
> > systems (SMP, RH 7.1 and RH 7.1 beta pre-release, updated).
>
> Any chance that there is another (unused) nic in that system?  One plug NIC,
> two plugs modem ;-)

No chance.

> Also, they are probably not "the same card" to any picky technical degree.
> There are bunches of "different" cards marketed at EEPro.

This is true, one is integrated onto a high-end motherboard, the other
is a separate PCI slot card. I just assume that both being the same
model number and using the same kernel module and both behaving the same
on LED's on the switch, that the mii-tool would also work on both, but
it doesn't.

> Are both systems on the same kernel version (to included patches)?  Are they
> both using the EEPro driver included with that kernel?  Intel used to have
> their own module source that you could download, compile and insmod/modprobe.
> Could make a difference.

Different kernel versions, both via module (same module name, slightly
different module version). FYI, I don't use the Intel version, it had
too many warning (back then) for my taste.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com