[lug] NIC Speed

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Sat May 4 00:16:17 MDT 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 11:21:33PM -0600, Tkil wrote:

> i do believe that there is some amount of "you get what you pay for".
> Donald Becker characterized the RTL8139 (maybe only the 8129?) as a
> "connectivity solution, not a performance solution" [1].  as i'd

Becker refers to the 8139's design as "stunningly bad".

> having said that, my experiences with the HP-rebranded 3com NICs was
> pretty positive -- that's what i saw that 11MBps transfer rate on.  i
> also think highly of the tulip chips; towards the end of their life,
> you could get them on netgear tx310 (301?) cards for about 20 USD
> each, with great support under linux.

And then Netgear switched to a clone chipset, which I've had lots of problems with.

I guess Intel is the way to go now. Anyone who's interested in the brand might visit www.pricewatch.com to find Intel NICs for much less than retail price.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge