[lug] Laptop recommendations

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon May 13 11:36:45 MDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 11:16, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> I'm in the market for a new laptop and was wondering if anyone has a
> recommendation?

I'm a ThinkPad fan.  IBM service has treated me very well.  The last
repair they did for me was free and it was a laptop six months *outside*
of the warranty period.  After looking at the problem, the IBM tech
staffer told me something to the effect that "those power connectors
just shouldn't break--we're very sorry and we'll be happy to replace it
for you for free" and that was it.  I can't think of another hardware
firm that has treated me so well.

And Linux runs nicely on pretty much every ThinkPad built within the
last 3-4 years.  I've done installs on many of them (240, i1560, 600,
600X, T20/21, A21e/A22p, ...) at Installfests or at work and have
developed an appreciation for their solid construction.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD    |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  URLs:        http://www.eh3.com