[lug] Laptop recommendations

Charles Morrison cmorrison at greeleynet.com
Mon May 13 05:54:49 MDT 2002

I'll chime in on thinkpads. I have a relatively old one, a 600, which
works quite well under linux. Nice screen and if you like the
eraserhead, good mouse hardware. This was a fairly cheap IBM warrentee
rebuild/resale. I haven't needed to deal with IBM service.

The only issues I have are: the sound is flakey and it has a winmodem.
There is an mwave modem driver for linux, but I've never gotten it to
work. The sound works sometimes when setting up RH, but doesn't work
consistently between reboots. It doesn't work at all under SuSE or
Mandrake, at least as I've tried it. I believe it's a driver issue, but
couldn't swear to it. I don't have a pressing need for sound on it. I
haven't been able to get a pcmcia modem to work on it nicely either.
I've tried a Xircom and a "Best Data" with lousy results on each.
Ethernet cards work great.

So if you go with an IBM, choose a newer one than this. ;o)