[lug] Laptop recommendations

Charles Morrison cmorrison at greeleynet.com
Mon May 13 06:31:55 MDT 2002

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> I have a TP600 as well, and had problems with the sound for a long time.
>
> Mine came with a hardware PCMCIA modem (IBM branded 3com) and everything on it
> works great.

Hmmm, IBM branded eh ? The Xircom just didn't work and the Best Data
worked sort of, but not very well. Interesting, maybe I should look at a
3com next time I feel like playing with it.

> I had problems with the sound for a long time.  It would stop working on
> reboot or just at random.  I never really figured out what it was, but my

Yup, that's the issue. Very odd when it appears randomly. Makes it
difficult to diagnose.

> modules.conf has the line "options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
> mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9" and I am using the latest update version of the RH
> kernel for 7.2.  It works 100% for "wav" audio now.  Haven't tried midi.

I'll give it a try. It has Mandrake 8.0 on it now. If it doesn't work I
don't think I'll bother until the next OS I put on it.