[lug] dvd::rip and transcode

j davis davis_compz at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 12:20:18 MDT 2002

hi,

I am ripping a dvd to avi using linux for the first time. Everything
seems to be going fine....the very first time i tried this i used mencoder
encode (comes with mplayer) any way this left the audio and video out of
sink, but
it was way faster than using transcode!!! mencoder took 3 hours or so , dvd
rip
has been running for 13 hours and claming another 15 is still needed. Is
this normal?
dvd::rip and transcode are also deinterlacing and running "nice 10". Is it
the nice 10 that is killing me? I have looked at the chapters that are
already done...look good and they work!

thanks
jd