[lug] dvd::rip and transcode

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed May 15 10:25:15 MDT 2002

He's ripping and encoding, not burning.  In this case, Ed's comments
about nice level are on target.  When it comes time to burn, yes,
priority and kernel latency can play a significant role.

Back to the original question- in the audio world, the speed of the
ripping operation has lots to do with the level of "paranoia" (error
correction) used and the speed and jitter properties of the drive.  In
DVD-Video land, I think it's mostly a function of audio/video
synchronization paranoia.  I *believe* the raw video data is reliably
read from the disc.  Can anyone confirm?

--

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |