[lug] Web Layers

Ken Weinert mc at morat.net
Fri May 17 12:48:04 MDT 2002

On Friday 17 May 2002 12:17, you wrote:
> I started closing paragraph tags a long time ago.  Good intentions but it's
> apparently based on a bad assumption.  Netscape v4.79 tolerated this bad
> syntax as does MSIE.  Netscape v6.0 has a problem but this appears to be
> because it's BAD SYNTAX.  My fault.

Actually, according to the HTML 4.01 spec it is allowed, but optional.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html

9.3.1 Paragraphs: the P element

<!ELEMENT P - O (%inline;)*            -- paragraph -->
<!ATTLIST P
  %attrs;                              -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --

Start tag: required, End tag: optional

Attributes defined elsewhere

 id, class (document-wide identifiers)
 lang (language information), dir (text direction)
 title (element title)
style (inline style information )
align (alignment)
onclick, ondblclick,  onmousedown, onmouseup,  onmouseover, onmousemove,
onmouseout, onkeypress,  onkeydown, onkeyup (intrinsic events )

The  P element represents a paragraph. It cannot contain block-level elements
(including P itself).

We discourage authors from using empty P elements. User agents should ignore
empty  P elements.

And yes, according to the DTD, <DIV> is block level and <SPAN> is character
level.

- --
Ken Weinert   mc at morat.net
GnuPG KeyID: 9274F1CE           GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/
GnuPG Key Fingerprint: 1D87 3720 BB77 4489 A928  79D6 F8EC DD76 9274 F1CE
Nothing is fixed. In and out the shuttle goes, fact and fiction, mind and
matter woven into patterns that may have only this in common: that hidden
among them is a filigree that will with time become a world.

                     Clive Barker, Weaveworld