[lug] OT: Veritas volume mgr and fs

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat May 18 01:03:08 MDT 2002

He's talking about the volume manager, not the backup software... two
different products (kinda - integration is pretty tight on newer
versions).

We use it at the shop I'm at.  It's very nice for the on-the-fly volume
resizing and features you mentioned, but probably takes a performance
hit doing some of it.

However, when the object is uptime and not raw filesystem performance,
dynamically resizing a full filesystem is much cleaner than finding more
disk space, if the partitioning scheme isn't matching where developers
are putting data.  (Of course the follow-up e-mails are interesting!)