[lug] rc.local perms

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat May 18 03:28:21 MDT 2002

j davis wrote:

> hi,
>
> so i am looking at the permissions on /etc/rc.local
> on my redhat 7.2 box ...i guess /etc/rc.local is a sym link
> to /etc/rc.d/rc.local....this is where i have been putting my
> scripts that i want to start. However the permissions on /etc/rc.local
> are 777 ?? i dont uderstand this...couldn,t any user add commands
> to /etc/rc.local and have them run as root at boot time?
>
> thanks
> jd

Symbolic links do not have permissions (unless you do something like
work with advanced filesystem interfaces or special circumstances). A
symbolic link is not really a file, it is a pointer to the real file.
The real file permissions are what rule. You wouldn't want to have to
set permissions via both sym links and the real link, imagine the
security nightmare if making a sym link to any hard link would ignore
hard link permissions. The directories containing the hard link, and the
hard link itself, still enforce their permissions.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com