[lug] what would break if...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat May 18 13:11:18 MDT 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:51:44PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>including rpm itself, along with some other important packages (like
>pam...break that and watch the system die). The funny thing is that one
>of the packages that needs it is php-4.0.6, but I want to upgrade db3 to
>get php 4.1. I think whoever coined the phrase "dependency hell" will go

Why don't you just do an upgrade to 7.3 and be done with it?  7.3 includes
packages built against db3.3, so it'll just work...

Otherwise, remove any packages that you can which depend on the older db,
keep a copy of /usr/bin/rpm around, and try forceing the install of the db
RPM, then start re-building everything that it was complaining about from
SRPMs.  This will work, if for some reason you really can't just let the
Red Hat folks do all this for you.

I did something similar to this years ago with a 5.2 box that I couldn't
easily upgrade and gtk.  Once you've done it, you're pretty well limited to
building packages from SRPMs, which isn't really so bad.

Sean
--
 The only people who have anything to fear from free software
 are those whose products are worth even less.  -- David Emery