[lug] CUPS + ijs + samba

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Mon May 20 21:41:10 MDT 2002

I've been banging my head against the virtual wall for several hours
trying to get a W98 client to print to an hp inkjet attached to my samba
server.  I have SuSE 7.2 + CUPS + ijs installed on the server.  I am able
to print a .ps file from the server no problem.

The msw driver for the printer is installed on the w98 client.  (I would
like to have samba pass the file directly to the printer bypassing any
ghostscript processing.  Is that possible?  Is CUPS smart enough to know
that it isn't in ps format, so doesn't need to be passed to gs?)

The printer shows up in the printer group in msw.  I send something to the
printer, and the job shows in the msw print queue window, then evaporates,
but never prints.  Even when I change the CUPS loglevel to debug, nothing
shows up in the error logs, so it seems like gs is directing the file to
/dev/null.  Is there any way to have cups not direct to gs?