[lug] window manager

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue May 21 02:21:32 MDT 2002

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 07:58:04PM -0700, Yuko Jonah wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just downloaded blackbox window manager into my
> redhat7.3 upon installation here is the error Checking
> whether the c++ compiler (gcc) works...no

This is only the message from 'configure' which tries to
compile a c++ program to check for a working g++. This fails,
but _not_ (neccessarily) because g++ isn't installed.

> configure:error:installation or configuration
> problem:c++ compiler can not create executables.

> I think c++ is installed. i have untar other programs
> that works fine.

The above error messagecan have several causes: oe (obvious)
would be wrong permissions on the directory you try to configure
in . In all likelyness there should be a file 'config.log' in
the directory you tried to configure in, what error messages
does it contain?

> Has anyone experience any problem or have any solution
> for me.

Several times, with varying reasons. Permissions, missing libraries,
disk full (!) etc.

  Ralf Mattes