[lug] CUPS + ijs + samba

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue May 21 17:47:16 MDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Archer Sully said:

> On Monday 20 May 2002 21:41, John Karns wrote:
> > I've been banging my head against the virtual wall for several hours
> > trying to get a W98 client to print to an hp inkjet attached to my samba
> > server.  I have SuSE 7.2 + CUPS + ijs installed on the server.  I am able
> > to print a .ps file from the server no problem.
> >

> I've been having similar problems with XP and a Lexmark E312.
> It worked fine with LPRng, but it has failed so far on CUPS.

I'm thinking that I might be better off trying LPRng.  It appears that
CUPS pretty much bypasses the printcap file which affords some control
about how the print job is directed.

> > The printer shows up in the printer group in msw.  I send something to the
> > printer, and the job shows in the msw print queue window, then evaporates,
> > but never prints.  Even when I change the CUPS loglevel to debug, nothing
> > shows up in the error logs, so it seems like gs is directing the file to
> > /dev/null.  Is there any way to have cups not direct to gs?
> >

> When I try this I get some flashing lights on the printer and then it goes
> into error mode.  And, of course, never prints.  And yes, Windows is aware
> that this is a PostScript printer.

We experienced a problem with an HP 4050 laser printer in the office - the
printer output was garbage.  I don't think it was ps code, as it appeared
to be binary mapped to ascii.  This was using an msw machine as the print
server, and StarOffice 5.2 on msw clients.  After loading a ps version of
the hp driver, all worked fine.

My guess about what's happening is that gs is dropping the job because
it's input is not ps.  It seems to me that CUPS is not suitable for
anything but handling ps output from the apps.  I guess the next step is
to dig through the Google groups.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net