[lug] CUPS + ijs + samba

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue May 21 20:12:13 MDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Ferdinand Schmid said:

> John,
> I am doing this without problems on SuSE 7.3.  I found that Yast2 can't
> configure CUPS properly but there is always the http://server:631 option
> for the CUPS web configuration interface (or edit /etc/cups/<config_file>).

I had the same problem with Y2 - everything was smooth sailing, including
printing the test page; then Y2 died when saving the cfg.  So I too
resorted to the web interface cfg method, which seemed to work fine.

> What I do have in my printer configuration in Samba is:
> use client driver = Yes
> Here is an excerpt from my config file:
> [LexC910]
>         comment = Lexmark C910 Color Laser
>         path = /tmp
>         printable = Yes
>         postscript = Yes
>         use client driver = Yes
>
> This should take care of telling Samba to pass the info straight on.  Also
> note that Samba now asks if you are using CUPS or lpr printing.  Check out
> the advanced SWAT view (http://serverName:901)

Excellent - I missed the client driver option.  Maybe it's a recent
addition to the smb cfg options - I didn't see it mentioned in any of the
docs I looked at - one of the pitfalls of a rapidly evolving application,
I suppose.

Thanks much

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net