[lug] Wash Post: Open-Source Fight Flares at Pentagon

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Thu May 23 08:53:57 MDT 2002

I like the definition of OSS that they include in the article.  I
suspect that Stallman would protest it but it make OSS sound like a Good
  Thing (TM).

"Software is designated open source when its underlying computer code is
available for anyone to license, enhance or customize, often at no cost.
The theory is that by putting source code in the public domain,
programmers worldwide can improve software by sharing one another's work.

"Vendors of the proprietary systems, such as Microsoft and Oracle Corp.,
keep their source codes secret, control changes to programs and collect
all licensing fees for their use."

Speaking of MS software and slashdot; I was wondering why my network
seemed to have slowed a bit.  It looks like my firewall is being pounded
by a new worm.  Slashdot links to a security focus article.

Scott