[lug] Laptop recommendations

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Fri May 24 09:57:15 MDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, David Morris said:

> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 02:37:08PM -0500, John Karns wrote:
> > On 22 May 2002, Hugh Brown said:
> >
> > > I have a Dell 8100 that works nicely.  It has a winmodem that is
> > > unsupported but the 15" screen and 1400x1050 is quite nice.  You have to
> > > use nVidia's proprietary drivers to get good performance out of the
> > > video card.
>
> FYI, the winmodem is actually one of the few that *is* supported by
> Linux....uses the ltmodem driver, which just needs to be downloaded and
> compiled, then you use the modem through port /dev/ttyLT0.

I understand that Dell used more than one make / model of the ether /
modem mini pci device.  Some were (such as the one in my machine) Lucent
modems, others not.  However, more drivers are appearing as time goes on.
Hopefully we'll see the day when the co's (finally) realize that
continuing to ignore the Linux market will only be to their won detriment.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net