[lug] Kernel.org ?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri May 24 13:29:15 MDT 2002

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> I can get to vger.kernel.org but not www.kernel.org or just plain
> kernel.org.  Sounds like a DNS problem.  Wait, if I go outside my
> firewall I can see it.  Strange.  Is it requiring a 113 response?

Don't know, but due to spam, I suspect it is. I have always used port
113 response, and it is one of the few ports I leave open, so my success
with kernel.org might be due to that. Also, they have ECN on, so if
something is broke along the way with ECN, it might also interfere.
"rise" mentioned this, and I mention it again, because there had at one
time (not too long ago) been a lot of talk about how broken many routers
are for that. If you have ECN, turn it off, I think you simply echo "0"
to a /proc/ file somewhere (I don't have ECN, so I don't know which file
exactly).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com