[lug] MPAA and Senate...again

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri May 24 15:52:13 MDT 2002

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> > > http://slashdot.org/articles/02/05/23/2355237.shtml?tid=97
> >
> > All slashdot stalls after the banners are done, no matter how many times
> > I try to load it. Even a manual telnet to port 80 and issuing the GET /
> > "HTTP/1.1" by hand shows it stalling after the font tag, every time.
> > Something is wrong at slashdot, it has been this way for a couple of
> > days at least.
>
> The link loads fine for me.  I had a problem a while back where seemingly
> random stories wouldn't load. Maybe 10%.  It was specific to the stories.
> Story X wouldn't load when it was new, and the next day a new story would
> load fine, but X still wouldn't load.  I guess that there is some "story
> oriented load balancing" going on and one server was giving my system fits.
>
> I use wireless over a slow (~24k) modem, so I had my browser configured to
> proxy on localhost:80 and had an ssh tunnel to a box on the wired network,
> which ran traffic through squid then junkbuster.  That box is in turn
> connected to an SMC Barricade that does NAT and has the modem on the WAN
> side.
>
> I turned proxying off for slashdot and the problem went away.  I tried
> eliminating each element in turn, but I could never get certain stories to
> load unless I connected "directly" (via NAT).
>
> So, is it possible you are behind a transparent proxy that is causing the
> problem?  A lot of ISPs are doing transparent proxying on port 80 to reduce
> bandwidth usage these days . . .

No proxy, no masquerade, no VPN, no tunneling. Just an IP pointed
directly at whereever it wants. I do not think my ISP does transparent
proxy, and slashdot used to be ok. For the last few days it stalls on
any/all pages, even the default main page. Browser is irrelevant, I get
the banners, then it mentions the font, and stalls. I can reload all I
want, or ask for the page via telnet without any browser at all, it dies
100% of the time, stalling out.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com