[lug] begginer sql

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sun May 26 16:01:50 MDT 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 09:47:07PM +0000, j davis wrote:

> hello,
>
> I am trying to build my first database. I learned a good deal here:
> http://www.sqlcourse.com/intro.html
> my only question before I try and build is this...
> so i build the tables, put data in it..then I let the data base run
> providing info for my web page.Thats great, But how do I back this
> data base up..or make it into a file so i can open it with other boxes
> with a sql interperter?
>
> Thanks,
> jd

Hi J,

database backup really depends on the database you use. For PostgreSQL (which i
_highly_ recomend) there's a script called pg_dump (or even pg_dumpall) that will
save your databse(es) into a text file will contain SQL statements to recreate
the database in case you need to (in case you need compression you can do the
following: pg_dump databsename | gzip -9 -c > database.gz).
The one thing to note: normally relational databases are _not_ happy if you just copy
the files _unless_ you stop your database server before copying.

  Ralf Mattes