[lug] Kernel 2.4.18 for C3-based board

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Wed May 29 17:33:36 MDT 2002

Thanks for the response, Dan.  See my comments below.

D. Stimits wrote:
> "Scott A. Herod" wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I recently installed RH 7.3 on a new Via board that I got.  Installation
>>was fine and the board works well. ( Except for the XF86 4.2.0 trident
>>driver over the RCA video output.  X with vesa works though. )  I did
>>tell it to use lilo as the boot loader so that I could draw an image on
>>the display at boot time.  I have not found out how to do something
>>similar with grub.
>>
>>Prior to making some minor changes to the kernel, I wanted to rebuild
>>RH's default.  It builds with the steps listed below but fails while
>>booting.  It starts with "Loading linux ........" then the machine
>>reboots.  I suspect that I'm making a simple error but cannot figure out
>>what.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Q. 1, did you edit the toplevel Makefile, and edit EXTRAVERSION to =
>   "-itv"? If not, it will be looking at the wrong files.

Sorry, forgot to mention this one.  I had set it.

> Q. 2, have you also copied the System.map to
> /boot/System.map-2.4.18-itv?

Not initially, but I thought it was only for kernel debugging and would
only whine if it was missing.  Regardless, it made no difference.

> Also, perhaps the image is too large for the ramdisk. At least
> temporarily, try this on the config for that kernel:
>   append="ramdisk_size=10000"
>
> (about 10 MB)
>
> I think if it is too large for a ramdisk it does something similar to
> wrapping around putting garbage instructions in, which in turn might
> cause a triple exception in the kernel (forcing instant reboot). The
> above is all speculation, but easy to test.

My ramdisk and RedHat's only differ by 102 bytes.

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       122084 May 24 17:14 initrd-2.4.18-3.img
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       122186 May 29 15:31
initrd-2.4.18-itv.img

Never-the-less, there was no difference in the boot behavior upon adding
the append line.

I think that I'll go back and try using the i386 config.  Despite
uname's reply, I wonder if this C3 is really equivalent to a i686.

[root at localhost boot]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.18-3 #1 Thu Apr 18 07:31:07 EDT 2002
i686 unknown