[lug] Kernel 2.4.18 for C3-based board

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Thu May 30 09:06:18 MDT 2002

Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
> "Scott A. Herod" wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I recently installed RH 7.3 on a new Via board that I got.  Installation
>>was fine and the board works well. ( Except for the XF86 4.2.0 trident
>>driver over the RCA video output.  X with vesa works though. )  I did
>
> <snip>
>
>>    make mrproper
>>    cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686.config .config
>>    make xconfig ( Save and exit with no changes )
>>    make clean; make dep; make; make modules; make modules_install
>

> Why do you need the make statement after make dep?

I suppose that bzImage would make sure that it has everything it needs.

>>    make bzImage
>>    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-itv
>

> This may not be your problem - but wouldn't you want to take the System.map
> along into the boot directory?

I should but I thought that was just for use while debugging a kernel.

> What specific chipset does this board use?  I recently had mixed success
> with one of the newer via chipsets (KT333/VT8233A).  Linux detected the
> chipset as a KT266 and PCI peripherals only partially worked.  I assume
> that you are using lower end hardware for your prjoect but you may want to
> make sure that Linux detects the right kind of hardware.
>
> Ferdinand

This board has a VIA C3-E 800MHz processor with a VIA PLE133 North
Bridge and VIA VT8231 South Bridge.  Other than some reasonably minor
display issues with the integrated yuv output, RedHat 7.3 installs and
runs well.  ( 7.1 works as well but with problems with audio output and
ethernet start-up. )

I am not changing the links in /boot to point to the latest images.  In
particular module-info and System.map are still the same.  But shouldn't
  lilo handle that if it is configured properly?

Thanks,

Scott