[lug] United Linux

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu May 30 13:12:34 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 12:39, rm at fabula.de wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 11:49:56AM -0600, Ed Hill wrote:
> >
> > > We need diverse players from different comunities - friendly competition
> > > (on all levels) is good for the software quality.
> >
> > Wrong!
> >
> > Have you learned nothing from the "Unix Wars"?
>
> I guess i was too you then, i watched it from the playground (Mac progmming
> all allong) ;-)
> No, IMHO this is a marketing trick. There never was something a UNIX war, there

Woah.  Get your facts straight.  The "Unix wars" (lawsuits mostly,
though the term is also used to refer to the myriad incompatibilities)
were very real.  And the problems persist today.  See this prescient
1993 paper that Bob Young credits as being motivation to start Red Hat:

  http://www.bitmover.com/lm/papers/srcos.html

My point is that adoption of standards, such as the LSB, is a move to
help avoid having the same happen to Linux.

> Never said anything against standards. Au contraire.

Good, then we agree on that.  ;-)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD    |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu