[lug] Dual boot from two hard drives, LILO

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Thu May 30 15:45:23 MDT 2002

I've just been able to afford two hard drives on one computer, and now
am trying to figure out how to get LILO to handle booting the two
OSes.  On the other installations I've done they've been on different
partitions of the same drive.

hda1	   XP
hdb1	   /home
hdb2	   /swap
hdb5	   /

I boot fine from a floppy, but running lilo on my old lilo.conf is not
putting the right info in the right place---the lilo "gui" does not
appear.  The HOW-TOs are giving me way way more information than I can
use, but from the man pages I'm guessing that I'm on hdb when I run
LILO and I need to invoke it with a -b <boot-loader> or -A
<master-device> option---I don't understand either.

Any help?

Thanks,
Glenn Murray
http://www.mines.edu/~gmurray