[lug] Dual boot from two hard drives, LILO

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Thu May 30 17:08:01 MDT 2002

Yes, I forgot to mention that this is done with the "boot" parameter in
lilo.conf.

Right now, you have it set to "/dev/hdb5".  "hdb5" is a partition, and
you want to set it to a device (such as hda or hdb).  To install lilo on
the first drive, set "boot" to "/dev/hda".  If you do this, don't forget
to run lilo again!

Is this what you want to do?  If I were in your shoes, my preference
would be to tell the BIOS to boot from the second drive.  Since this is
not an option, I see a couple of alternatives:

	-Switch your hard drives around so that your Linux drive is the
	master and your XP drive the slave.  This would cause Linux to
	recognize the Linux drive as "/dev/hda" and the XP drive as
	"/dev/hdb".  You would have to change your partition table
	(/etc/fstab) and lilo.conf to reflect this.  Having never used
	XP, I have no idea how it would deal with this.

	-As I suggested before, leave the drives where they are and
	install lilo on the XP drive.  IMHO, this is the least painful
	option available to you.

Dhruva

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 04:52:24PM -0600, quoth Glenn Murray: