[lug] OT: latest Microsoft ad

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu May 30 19:31:54 MDT 2002

This is a little OT, but hopefully humorous.

Could someone explain to me the latest Microsoft ".net" ad,
the one where the forklift hiccups and drives two barrels
(of wine) into a set of expensive wine racks set up like
dominos?

What's the message they are trying to send here, exactly?

  "If you're a ****ing moron who can't anticipate the
  obvious risks of setting up top-heavy, unsecured shelving
  next to an open warehouse full of barrels and forklifts,
  you'll love Microsoft products!"

I admit that the ad is humorous, but I have a hard time
getting past the incredible negligence in the premise.
It's not like basic 2x4s (or simple steel tubing) is
prohibitively expensive or hard to work with.

More than anything else, I'm reminded of that product
launch ad that opened with some moody classical music.
The ad suddenly disappeared when somebody pointed out
that it was funeral music.

Could this be a cryptic slam-ad?

Bear