[lug] Problem with OpenOffice.org 1.0.0

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri May 31 16:05:21 MDT 2002

Ronald Kumon wrote:

> I just installed OpenOffice.org 1.0.0 but am having some problems with it.
> The programs opens just fine, but when I try to use my mouse to select any
> of the menus (File, Edit, etc.), the menu pops up and then immediately
> disappears.  As a result, I can never select any of the menu items.  The
> same thing happens when I use the shortcut keys (Alt-F, Alt-E) to pull up
> the menus. I can use shortcut keys to open up dialog boxes (e.g., Ctrl-O
> to open a file).  Other buttons which are on the various toolbars appear
> to be functioning correctly as far as I can tell.  I'm running RedHat 7.0
> with the Sawfish window manager, GNOME, XFree86 4.0.  I performed a
> multiuser install of the program, followed by a workstation installation
> in my home directory.  Any suggestions about what might be going wrong
> here?
> --Ron

You might have some libraries that are involved non-readable. Try
running openoffice as root, see if it changes things and works (in fact,
startx as root, or login as root from the gui login, be sure everything
runs as root). If that fails, you can log it with ltrace to see if it
fails to load something.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com