[lug] Network card errors due to Windoze

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri May 31 20:21:09 MDT 2002

"Sexton, George" wrote:

> My guess would be that as part of the shutdown of the card, Windows is
> setting the state of the card to something that the driver doesn't know how
> to handle. I don't believe it's a BIOS problem.
>
> The one thing that Windows may be doing to the card at shutdown is enabling
> WAKE-ON-LAN.  I believe win2k has an option at the card level to turn this
> on or off.
>
> Regardless, the issue is almost certainly that Windows is setting the
> registers and configuration of the card to something that the Linux driver
> doesn't handle.

This is one of the reasons why setting the BIOS to not pnp aware is
good, in theory it would initialize the card at each reboot, even a soft
reboot, and set default values consistently. While it is not the card or
bios causing the problem (in the case of windows changing its values), a
bios that does a full reset via "not pnp aware" would solve the problem,
and any manufacturer of motherboards with pci slots that doesn't allow
this setting has fools for engineers.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com