[lug] 1 to 1 data cd copy

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jun 1 17:11:21 MDT 2002

j davis wrote:

> yes, i know this i have mounted iso files from my hard drive to
> /mnt/whatever
> however i have never used the lo. i am just wondering why you need to use
> the lo.

Loopback is capable of taking the underlying file raw data and making it
"look" like another format, such as a filesystem. Loopback in this case
makes the file look like a partition instead of a file. It can, at will
take a raw dump of dd from an iso9660 filesystem, and cause the system
to think the file is iso9660. Same with raw dd dumps of ext2, or almost
anything else. It is extremely useful for encryption of a filesystem as
well.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com