[lug] ide hotswap

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Jun 2 16:34:00 MDT 2002

j davis wrote:

> Hi,
> i have a ide hotswap bay. I tried it on a old p1 running rh7.1 the
> drive would work fine untill i tried to hot swap it. Would comeout
> ok but when i tried to remount i get message in /var/log/messages that
> mk kernel seems to have a problem giving the drive a irq or something.
> I am reinstalling my main box with7.3. I would like to put a 40 gig ibm
> drive in the hotswap bay and use it for a production ftp server. I would
> like to hear anyones experience with ide hotswap.
>
> thanks
> jd

Not all removeable bays are capable of hotswap or warmswap. Warm swap
means an unmounted drive can be added or removed while power is on, hot
swap requires software in addition to warm swap, to deal with a drive
being removed (or failing) while mounted. Looks like you are wanting
warm swap, and the drive does not have to tolerate insert/remove while
mounted. If there is a problem with this, then perhaps your bay is
removeable but not warm swappable (it would have to have extra circuitry
on it to deal with irq or other details, beyond simple cooling and power
surge protection). I use a hot swap scsi backplane, which works fine,
but I suspect an IDE version would have different requirements. Are you
positive that the bay is designed for power-on swapping, and is not just
removeable? And are you sure that all partitions are umount'ed prior to
removal?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com