[lug] XFree86 vs. XF86_SVGA?

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Mon Jun 3 16:20:33 MDT 2002

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Scott A. Herod said:

> Hello,
>
>    I have a bunch of questions about the difference between the XFree86
> server and XF86_SVGA server.  But, I'll start with just one: Does the
> XF86_SVGA server use the drivers in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ ?

Sorry, don't know about that.

>    On one of my boxes, with a ATI Rage 128, it does not even appear that
> RH 7.3 and XF86 4.2.0 even provided an XF86_SVGA server instead using
> XFree86.  Another box, with a Trident Cyberblade i1, wants to use the
> XF86_SVGA driver by default.  On this trident box, am I even using the
> trident driver?  Can I change the server that I use simply by changing
> the softlink /etc/X11/X to point to either the XF86_SVGA or XFree86 server?

AFAIK, XF86_SVGA is XF86 3.x and XFree86 is a monolithic driver for XF86
4.x.  I also believe that yes, you can change the server by changing the
link, but you will also have to provide the matching config file, as the
format changed for 4.x.  I don't think it would be difficult, as the name
of the cfg file also changed.  Moreover, I believe that 4.x looks in
/etc/X11 for and 3.x in /etc.

There are several variations of the ATI R128 series cards, many with
mutually incompatible BIOS's.  In my experience, some don't work under
XF86 3.x, even though the card is detected and identified.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net