[lug] Problem with OpenOffice.org 1.0.0

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Tue Jun 4 10:12:29 MDT 2002

On 3 Jun 2002, Ed Hill wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 09:57, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > On 31 May 2002, Ed Hill wrote:
> >
> > > Note that the fonts in the menu boxes are *quite* ugly, but they do
> > > work.
> >
> > 	In the "Font Replacement" configuration screen under
> > Tools->Options, and then "OpenOffice.org->Font Replacement", add an alias
> > from 'Andale Sans UI' to what ever font you want the menus to have, i.e.
> > Helvetica looks nicer. Make sure to check the two box beside the
> > replacement listing, and then click the Ok/Apply button. At that point,
> > all the UI fonts should change to font you selected.
> > 	And yes, the default font is ugly. I got the above out of the
> > OpenOffice FAQ. TTYL.
>
> Unfortunately, "Andale Sans UI" isn't listed in my "OpenOffice.org->Font
> Replacement" menu.  And I can't figure out which font *is* being used

	No, it is not listed. You have to enter it into the first text box
(the font to be replaced) by hand. Then you can choose a font from the
drop down list box to replace it (probably a good idea, that way you
replace the non-existant font with an existing font). The reason it
'Andale Sans UI' is not listed is because it does not exist, and hence the
reason you want to replace it. :)
	As for the TrueType fonts, I stay away from them on Linux, or at
least with Debian Woody. While trying to setup an application server, xfs
for TrueType fonts kept crashing when Mozilla tried to view
www.google.com. :( I think I will stick to the Type1 fonts for now.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |