[lug] Seeking recommendations on router for SOHO

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Wed Jun 5 12:07:58 MDT 2002

>>>>> "bof" == bof  <bof at pcisys.net> writes:

bof> I'm thinking about setting up a small home network and have been
bof> looking at routers to use with my Cisco 675 in the bridging mode.

bof>     Linksys BEFSR41
bof>     Netgear RP114

bof> So I'm seeking opinions/experiences about these.

I have an RP114, and I like it.  I'm using it with a cable modem (and
there's a 10.mumble address assigned its WAN port), so I don't believe
I've actually tested the bridging mode.  But it's worked quite well so
far.

I think there might also be a D-Link device in the same general price
and feature range.  Yes, the DI-704

   http://www.dlink.com/products/broadband/di704/

Current prices (courtesy pricewatch.com):

   BEFSR41 - 50$
   DI-704  - 50$
   RP114   - 60$

Having pointed that out, I had a very miserable experience with D-Link
earlier this year (with one of their wireless networking pci cards),
and their tech support was somewhere between "miserable" and
"hostile".  So I wouldn't really recommend them...

bof> OTOH, for that matter, if anyone has recommendation of a good
bof> router other than these (preferably less than $100, but I might
bof> go as high as $200), I would like to hear it.

The traditional answer here is to find an old pc, throw two network
cards in it, and install a minimal/hardened linux distro on it.
Guaranteed to be the most flexible answer, if the most difficult to do
initial setup with.  This is in fact the cheapest option in terms of
money, but also probably requires the most time.  (And if you don't
already have a hub or switch, buying one pretty much makes up the
difference in cost to one of the products above.)

t.