[lug] Dual boot from two hard drives, LILO

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 5 12:37:30 MDT 2002

Glenn Murray wrote:

> This is certainly interesting.  How much trouble is it to swap the
> hard drives?  They are cable select, and it is easy to enough to swap
> the ribbon cable plugs.  What's involved with the OS(s)?  Naively, I
> would just replace "hdb" with "hda" in /etc/fstab, write lilo to hda,
> and have lilo point to hdb1 to boot Windoze.  Would that be it?

Simply swapping drives *can* work as far as getting both systems to
boot. However, it will badly confuse the windows system in some cases,
breaking installed apps. You do not have the choice of assigning drive
letters by hand, windows does that for you, and many apps are "hard
wired" to drive letters at the time of their installs. I wouldn't
recommend it, though perhaps you could use a backup and restore scheme
(doubtful though, it would have to swap "c:" and "d:").

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com