[lug] Seeking recommendations on router for SOHO

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jun 6 00:16:56 MDT 2002

We have a boatload of people using the Linksys routers in a
multi-national project for VoIP and ham radio that I'm involved heavily
with... everyone seems very happy with them.

Only gotcha we've seen is that the combo wired/wireless Linksys (not the
one you're looking at) has two different versions of hardware.  Revision
1 and Revision 2.  DO NOT buy one that doesn't say "Revision 2"
somewhere on it with a sticker.

It'll work okay for TCP, but has a massive problem with UDP packets
arriving out of sequence on the wired side when the wireless portion of
the router is active.  Disabling the wireless portion the problem
somewhat goes away.  You should hear what that does to VoIP
applications... ugggh.

The Linksys will do some minimal logging to another machine via syslog,
if I understand what I've seen on other people's routers -- I don't own
one.  (Why bother, a cheap Pentium-I based linux box running iptables
with multiple NIC's will do the whole job... and other things besides!
GRIN.)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com