[lug] Re: More on Reply-To

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jun 6 22:20:47 MDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 07:20:05PM -0600, Peter Hutnick wrote:
>reply-to munging it would be obvious to all that "reply" replies to author
>and "reply all", uh, replies to everyone.  See how intuitive this is?

Yeah, that's a common reason that's stated as far as why reply-to munging
is bad.  However, I believe that people can and probably *SHOULD* remember
that they're participating in a mailing list, not corresponding with a
particular author.  See how intuitive that is?

In the end, by personal observation, I've found that setting a list to not
be reply-to-list does *NOT* prevent people from making the mistake of
replying publicly to something they want to reply to privately.  They're
just so used to doing a group reply that it loses it's power...

>use reply-to get their replies at the wrong address on munging lists.  When I
>do notice a list is configured that way I often complain to the list admin an
>often try to get others to as well.

"Not your way" is not "the wrong way".  It's been kind of amusing that
the "don't change reply-to" people can't conceive that people would like
things any other way.

Sean
--
 People who interview themselves shouldn't criticize writing styles.
                 -- John Bentley, Programming Pearls