[lug] mozilla and imap subfolders

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Jun 7 13:09:32 MDT 2002

Scott A. Herod wrote:
> Hi Ferdinand,
>
>   I can ( sort of ) create new subfolders if I have a message selected
> and under messages choose "Create Filter...".  There's an option to
> create a new folder and subfolder, but oddly, all of the possible parent
> folders on the imap server I'm testing on are disabled.  However, the
> folders on the other server I use are not disabled.  I am a little
> afraid to try placing one there, but here goes......  After a minute of
> looking at a stop-watch icon is says, I can't do that.  I can create a
> subfolder of the local Inbox.
<snip>

The issue I found is this:
- IMAP stores subfolders as .folder.subfolder.subfolder2 ... directories
- If a folder can hold messages then you have a new and cur directory in
   this folder, along with other IMAP server files
- Some MUAs and even IMAP servers don't like to have a mix of messages
   and subfolders for any folder, my IMAP server can handle it though.
- Netscape shows you folders that can contain messages as grayed out
   when creating subfolders - you can't created subfolders in those
   folders.
- Folders that can't hold messages are displayed in gray in the mail
   reader interface.  You can't move messages into those folders.
- Netscape (Mozilla), based on some mozilla faq (which I can't find
   anymore), should offer a feature to create a sublevel 2 folder.  So
   you should be able to create folder1.folder2.  You should then be able
   to create new subfolders of folder1 when desired.

I can currently from a shell on my IMAP server create subfolders but
this is no option for most users.  Good old communicator was able to do
the subfolders.

It appears that mozilla has limited support for "dual use folders",
which can contain messages and subfolders.  But it won't let users
create subfolders of any folder that can contain messages.  It only
displays both, if the folder and its subfolders already exist.

Sorry for using Netscape and mozilla in a mix - I tried them both and
use them both (NS7 PR-1 and a mozilla version just before 1.0).

Ferdinand
--
Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation