[lug] Re: More on Reply-To

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Fri Jun 7 13:19:16 MDT 2002

> I am not aware of /any/ mailer that won't let you trim those addresses out.  I
> just trimmed yours out since you said you don't like duplicates.

I'm just being lazy, I don't like to do that every time I send an email
to the list.

> BTW, I like duplicates, because my "personal" inbox gets more attention than
> my list boxes.  If someone replies to my post to a list I like giving it that
> extra attention.  This also allows me to have a complete "local archive" of
> the list while still getting replies in my inbox.  Nice.

Some say tomahto, others tomato.

> > I prefer the munging.  On almost all of the mailing lists I am on, it is
> > rare that I need to reply individually, so I don't mind the little extra
> > effort to cut and paste an address.
>
> How do you cut and paste an address that has been munged out?

I am thinking of the From address, so I am being presumptive that the
Reply-To header and the From header are the same.  For me it certainly
is.  The only time I have ever modded my reply to header is to set it to
the mailing list for those lists that I am on that don't munge the reply
to.  In the case of this list, I view full headers and grab
spam at hutnick.com.  I'm glad to know that you think so highly of my
response :)

In the end it seems to be a matter of personal preference.  I kind of
like letting the mailman software allow the individual to choose munge
or not.

Hugh