OT Re: [lug] Digital Cameras and Linux

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Fri Jun 7 14:22:06 MDT 2002

>>>>> "Warren" == Warren Sanders <sanders at montanalinux.org> writes:

Warren> Nice hair cut friends you got there! :)

Heh.

Warren> A bit back on topic: Have you concidered Gallery?

There are tons of gallery / album / thumb / whatnot generators out
there (just do a search on freshmeat).  When I first started this
madness, I just wanted a quickie script that would let me get a little
index, a bit in the style of a contact sheet.  It's grown, of course,
but I still call it:

   http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/perl/quick-photo-index

A friend borrowed that script and added more image sizes, frames, and
captioning support.

Some inspiration was from "pcdindex":

   http://www.mengwong.com/software/perl/pcdindex/

Which creates very natty index pages and nice per-page navigation.
An example:

   http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/pics/yapc-1999/

But it relied a little too much on image name conventions, so I
decided to roll my own.

Warren> I have Gallery as a module in PostNuke.

I've given thought to making my pics more interactive, but it hasn't
really seemed necessary yet.  So far, I just generate static HTML and
deal with it from there.  This has some advantages, since I can just
move the directory tree over and it should Just Work.

I might have to do something more fancy soon, anyway.  Recently, I had
to go through and reorganize all my photos, as my old filing system
pretty much collapsed under the weight of 3500+ images.  The hardest
part, as always, is figuring out which ones to throw away; the best
I've been able to do is pick out some as being better than others, and
relegate the other ones to a "-boring" directory.  E.g.,

   http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/photos/2001-10/2001-10-26-ns-exciting_woofa/
   http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/photos/2001-10/2001-10-26-ns-boring_woofa/

t.

p.s. I thought this was sounding familiar:

        http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2001.07/msg00304.html