[lug] Digital Cameras and Linux

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Jun 9 13:01:51 MDT 2002

* Sean Reifschneider (jafo at tummy.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 12:37:56PM -0600, Tkil wrote:

[big snip]

> When I was doing a lot of photo stuff, I was bulk-loading (getting film in
> 100' rolls, and then loading from there into the cans that go into your
> camera).  It encouraged taking pictures of everything, experimenting with
> different camera settings (more useful with an SLR where you can adjust
> EVERYTHING), etc...  Digitals are great because you can just take a picture
> of everything, and weed out the crappy ones whenever you want...
>
> For example, when I toured the Winchester Mystery House a few weeks ago, I
> probably took over 100 pictures in the 90 minute tour...  Of course, I also
> set up my laptop, so I'd pull out the card every so often and dump to the
> laptop, which was configured to take the last image and send it up to my
> web-site via wireless networking...

I think the best way to encourage yourself to take more pictures is to
buy a 'gajillion' dollar camera. :-)  Thus, get the Nikon D1H or D1X.
The size of the sensor in megapixels ain't all that impressive anymore,
but the features are.  It is just like the Pro Nikon F5 film SLR -- it takes
the sames lenses, has the same control lay out (more or less).  It is a
cool camera.  And if spending the 3000-5000 dollars that is costs
doesn't get you to lug it with you everywhere, I don't know what will
;-)

But seriously, if you want to always have it with you, get a small one.
That makes the biggest difference.  I actually have an F5, *great*
camera, a real work of art.  However, it is very large.  So I hardly
ever take it with me these days.  I probably ought to sell it, but I
have sentimental attachment.

Tim