[lug] Testing CDs and ISO Images

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 10 15:10:09 MDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 07:21:42AM -0600, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
>I recently burned a data CD and some of the files did not make it on
>there in their entirety, which I did not find out until after I had
>deleted the ISO image and original files from my hard drive (^%&*(%).

Ugh.  I feel your pain...

I usually do a:

   find . -type f | xargs md5sum | sort >/tmp/cmpfile

on both the source directory and the destination ISO.  If they're
different, there is a problem...  This doesn't catch a lot of more marginal
discs.  That shouldn't be as much of a problem if you're reading the discs
on the same drive that's burning them...

For KRUD, I developed a custom CD tester which is pretty picky about what
it considers a good disc.  This is important because we're burning discs
for someone else to use...  Sometimes discs are burned that our drives,
after some work, can read, but that somone with an older drive cannot...

Sean
--
 "I'm a big girl."  "Yeah, and in all the right places, too."
                 -- _North_by_Northwest_