[lug] Dual boot from two hard drives, LILO

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jun 13 11:15:19 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 10:50, Glenn Murray wrote:
> Rest assured that my head is already sore.  I am about to try grub,
> but thought I would give lilo a last chance.  I don't have to
> configure these things often, and it's a pain to switch to something
> new.  If this doesn't work out today I'll probably take your and Ed's
> advice and look into grub.  But while you're reading: I have XP on
> hda1 and Linux / on hdb5.  What would a minimal grub config file look
> like?

Heres a grub.conf for a dual-boot RH 7.3 + WinXP system and it works
just fine.  See the grub man or info pages for more details.

hth,
Ed

ps - the pass phrase has been blanked, but no other changes were
     made to the file

#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda6
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
password --md5 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
title Linux
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18 ro root=/dev/hda6
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18.img
title DOS
        rootnoverify (hd0,2)
        chainloader +1